Clinical Services at the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System (VAPHS)
Overview of Inpatient and Outpatient Services
Members of the VA Section of General Internal Medicine, along with housestaff from the University of Pittsburgh Internal Medicine Residency Program, provide the following clinical services to veterans:
- Primary care for over 32,000 veterans at primary care sites located on the Oakland, Highland Drive, and HJ Heinz (Aspinwall) campuses and at community-based outpatient clinics located in three sites in Pennsylvania (Monaca, Greensburg, and Washington) and one site in Ohio (St. Clairsville).
- Women's health care from a VA National Center of Excellence based at the Oakland Division.
- Urgent and emergent care from the Emergent Care Center at Oakland.
- Substance abuse intervention through the Substance Abuse Detection and Early Intervention Program based at Oakland.
- Medical preoperative evaluations for veterans who have chronic medical conditions and are considering major surgery based at Oakland.
- Inpatient general medicine care to veterans admitted for acute medical illnesses at the Oakland Division.
Additional information for veterans can be found at www.myhealth.va.gov.
Telephone Numbers for Primary Care
Patients currently seen by VA primary care providers can contact their primary care team at the following numbers:
- University Drive Primary Care (Oakland), including the Women's Health Program: 412-954-5158
- Purple Team (Highland Drive): 412-954-5158
- Green Team (Aspinwall): 412-954-5158
- Greensburg, PA: 724-216-0317
- Monaca, PA: 724-709-6005
- Washington, PA: 724-250-7790
- St. Clairsville, OH: 740-695-9321 or 3721
Patients with clinical questions after usual business hours can speak with a nurse at 1-866-4VAPITT (1-866-482-7488) and follow the prompts.
Driving Directions to VA Facilities
The administrative offices of the Primary Care Service Line are located at the University Drive Division of the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System in the Oakland region of Pittsburgh. Driving directions to these offices can be found by following this link.
Links to other VA facilities in Pennsylvania, including driving directions, can be found here.
Physicians at the VAPHS
- Borrero, Sonya, MD, MS
- Brooks, Robert C., MD, PhD, Associate Program Director, Internal Medicine Registry
- Burke, Timothy R., MD, Physician Leader, Green and Purple Primary Care Teams
- Coax, Warren, MD
- Fine, Michael J., MD, MSc, Director, Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion
- Gellad, Walid, MD, MPH
- Gerber, Lawrence, MD
- Good, C. Bernie, MD, MPH
- Gordon, Adam J., MD, MPH
- Herrle, Scott, MD, MS
- Hoffman, Erika L., MD, Physician Leader, University Drive Primary Care Team
- Inagami, Sanae, MD, MPH
- Lee, Edward, MD
- Ling, Bruce S., MD, MPH
- Malek, Siamak, MD
- McNeil, Melissa A., MD, MPH, Director, VA Women's Health Program
- Muluk, Visala S., MD, Director, Medical Consultation Service
- Preisner, Ruth M., MD
- Schenker, Yael, MD, MS